▲ (Left side) Fabrizio Romeo
(Right side) Freehand
Artisan: Fabrizio Romeo crafts free hand pipes in Reggio Calabria with briar from the Aspromonte .
Production (2007): ~1000 pipes/year
The Falcon Pipe is an American invention, patented by Kenley Bugg of Fort Wayne, Indiana in 1936.
1948: George L. Hunt of Diversey Machine Works (D.M.W) signed a contract with Falcon Industries as exclusive Falcon pipe distributor for U.S. and Canada.
1956: D.M.W purchased the patents and trademarks from Falcon Industries Inc. and took over the Falcon pipes manufacture.
1968: Falcon pipe production moved from the U.S to the U.K in its entirety. Falcon Pipes Ltd. (also known as Falcon House Group) was owned by David E. Morris.
Falcon Pipes Ltd later became Merton and Falcon Co.
1974: Falcon London had sold about 14 million pipes around the world outside the U.S.A.
the Falcon logo on the mouthpiece was discontinued in 1994.
The three brothers Cornelio, Frederico and Carlo Rovera established the "Fratelli Rovera" corporate in 1911. In 1949 Frederico stepped out of the partnership to found his own corporate which is known today under the name "Figli di Federico Rovera" (Fe-Ro).
Angelo Rovera and his son Dorielo, founder of the Ardor pipe brand are from the same family but the two corporates are entirely independent of each other.
Hand Made In England, Les Wood
Size markings (ascending): 1, 2 or 3 stars
Finish markings: Bark (sandblasted or rusticated) Root (smooth, light brown) Chestnut (smooth, brown or red)